Engineering FAQ's

Residential Customers

Why are connection fees due if I'm already connected?

The connection fees are similar to impact fees, not whether the physical connection is made. They are your share of the cost of the infrastructure including the water and wastewater plant, pipelines, lift stations, etc.

How can I get water or sewer on my street if the mains do not exist?

You will have to install the water and sewer facilities as any other developer. Because of the way Seacoast is legally structured, we cannot install new facilities the same way a municipality can. For areas in unincorporated Palm Beach County, the County's MSTU program might be utilized.

How many copies of (plans, shop drawings, etc.) do I need to submit?

We generally need 2 copies of all items submitted for reviews so that we can keep 1 file copy and return the other copy to you with our comments.

Can I submit pdf files of plans by email instead of hard copies for review?

That will be fine for one or two sheets, but not for larger sets.

Do plans need to be sealed by an Engineer?

Florida statutes require that all engineering drawings submitted for public record be signed and sealed by a Florida Professional Engineer unless marked "for review." As-built drawings should be signed by a Surveyor.

Commercial Customers

Why are Grease Interceptors required by SUA?

Grease Interceptors (Traps) are needed to separate out grease, fats and oils from customer wastewater streams before they reach SUA facilities. These materials cling to the sides of piping, manholes and lift stations increasing the risk of sewer back-ups and the cost for SUA to maintain these system components. If they make it all the way to SUA's wastewater treatment plant, they must still be removed as the wastewater must be clean enough to be returned to the environment or processed as reclaimed water for irrigation.

Which customers need to install them?

They are required for all non residential food preparation or dining facilities. To date, there are over 520 active Interceptors in our service area.

Are interior type interceptors acceptable?

Generally not as they cannot be maintained, repaired, and inspected as easily as exterior units. They are also not practical to keep fats, oils, and greases from entering floor drains, floor and hand sinks. SUA will only consider approving them for specific installations under extremely limited circumstances.

Aren't exterior interceptors expensive to install?

Generally not if installed as part of the original construction. Grease Interceptors systems consist of one or more underground precast concrete tanks (generally less than $2,000 each), connecting piping, and the contractor's installation costs. Retrofitting an existing tenant space is more expensive due to parking lot restoration costs and working around existing utilities and other obstacles. Costs can be much higher due to location and depth of the nearest sewer. The cost is less than the cost for SUA to unplug a blocked sewer line.

Why wasn't the previous owner required to install one?

All of SUA's water and sewer customers are required to adhere to SUA's Service Code. Although this Code is updated periodically, existing customers are not always required to make immediate changes to their existing facilities. Each new customer is bound by the latest Code provisions.

Where can I find more information on how to proceed?

Visit our website to view or download SUA's Service Code (which includes the Minimum Construction Standards), project forms needed, record drawings of existing facilities, etc. The first step is to submit a completed Property Questionnaire and then schedule a meeting to discuss the specific project requirements and fees. Installation plans and inspection of the construction work will be required, and the Grease Interceptor will need to be maintained in proper working condition. SUA's Engineering Department personnel are available at 561.627.2900 to answer specific questions about the process and procedures.